Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Connor!




Connor turned 8 years old today. Seems so funny for him to be that old, because he doesn't act it. All day I have remembered bringing him home as a helpless 7 week old puppy. Connor is the antithesis of Reece; he's sweet, cuddly and adoring. Just what I needed in my second dog. But don't let his cream puff image fool you! Reece raised him, and Reece turned the pack over to him a couple of years ago when Reece's injuries were too much for him to confidently lead. Connor is now bringing Devon up to be the pack ruler.

Connor has had a rough day. In his old age he doesn't like thunderstorms, and we've had plenty last night and tonight. He feels he has to look after me as I've been battling bronchitis and pneumonia and I still cough a lot at night. He cuddles close as I cough, and I return the favor as he snuggles in while the thunder and lightening roll.

Connor has given me a love of Golden Retrievers. He blessed me as his partner in obedience, rally and agility. I know he loves agility, but on his terms now (without weave poles). He wagged his tail through a 250 yard track on Saturday. All this because he knows I want to play the games with him, and not because he wants to play them. He'd rather snuggle up on the bed or sofa next to you and snore all day.

Connor is a very special dog, and I hope and pray he's with me for 8 more years to come. I cannot imagine life without him.

No comments: