Monday, October 12, 2009

A good way to end our "field season"

This weekend was the White River Golden Retriever Club's WC/WCX test. Devon passed her first WCX test last year at this test, but I entered her again this year to support the club and have some fun. Page was entered in the WC, but I decided not to set her up to reinforce bad habits of keeping the birds and pulled her.

Devon made me very proud yesterday. It was nice to have her perform so well when Carolyn updated her titles in the catalog so her SH was right there after her name! Wow, it still feels good to see that title!

Devon was very steady on the triple, reading it well and turning to each station like a very seasoned dog to watch the bird go down. She was steady on the line until exploding to the bird when sent. She picked up both outside birds easily.

When she lined up for the third bird up the middle, she locked quickly. I started to inhale a breath to send her when I realized her head wasn't straight. I looked up to see where she locked. Sure enough she was locked on the first gunning station instead of the middle station. I patted my leg and quietly told her "here," and it didn't take long to change her mind and get her locked up the middle. I let her look up the middle and counted to 3 to make sure she was locked, then I dropped my hand and sent her.

Devon was about halfway out when one of the judges, Paul, said behind me about what a great job of handling I just did. Ed, who was one of the judges that finished her Senior Hunter agreed and said, "Good job handling, Deb!"

Devon scared me just a little by working left of the fall like she wanted to switch, but then she decided she wanted the bird a little worse and found it and came in. We were onto water!

I worked behind the judges for the WC test. This is my favorite job since it gives me an up close view of the dogs and handlers and what the judges see. Paul has judged our test for years, but since Mitch has judged with him and knows me, I've not gotten to know Paul well.

Before the test started, Paul said, "You're Deb, right?" I said yes, and he said he was going to call Mitch and tell him that I needed a Gold Star for learning my lessons well. He said he was just sure I was going to send Devon when she lined up wrong, and he was thrilled to see me catch the problem and fix it. He repeated what a great job of handling I had done. He was even more complimentary when I told him Devon was completely owner trained and handled, and I even put the force fetch on her.

It's really special for me to hear this compliment since Devon is my first field dog, and it's very special since it's someone who doesn't know me. It makes all the hard work worth it! Devon's rewards for the field work is the birds, and mine are the ribbons, titles and judge's compliments.

Devon handled a challenging water series very well, with just a little bank cheating on the memory bird. She honored well, too, and was one of 6 dogs (out of 18) that passed this year's test.

Today, she got a special "spa" treatment from Aunt Sheree. A bath and blow dry with plenty of kisses from Aunt Sheree and some extra massages, too. She's a pretty special little girl, and this was a great way to end our fall season.

No comments: