Sunday, October 4, 2009

Page is giving me more white hair!

When I first brought Page home, I realized I hadn't had a puppy like this since Reece, my border collie. Page is always up for an adventure, and if I don't make it exciting enough she will. It's a good thing I love this pup and that she loves me back!

Friday night after our adventures in tracking and at the kennel club, I expected Page to be tired. She curled up at my feet as I ate dinner, and I made a mental note that she doesn't usually snuggle so close. She must be tired. After dinner we moved upstairs to watch tv. Devon hopped up on he daybed to snuggle close, and Page put her front feet up on the other side of me to see if there was room for her.

That's when I got a good look at Page's face - what happened! At some point in the evening after they had eaten and while I made dinner, Page put her nose where it didn't belong! I think she got stung by a bee/yellow jacket, likely in the left side of her nose since that's where she was mildly sensitive to my touch. Most of her face was swollen, and I couldn't resist taking a photo of her.




Back to normal?
After a Benedryl and a good night's sleep, Page was back to normal on Saturday. However, normal is what I'm worried about! On Saturday I took Page with me when I took Devon to an obedience run thru today. The training room is upstairs above a kennel/doggie daycare. When you go up the stairs there is a lobby area to crate in and the training room is to the back and side. There is no view of the outside or the lobby below from the upstairs area.

I worked Devon for a while then got Page out to do some training in the lobby area. I worked her on leash but several times dropped the leash like when I was working stays. Then I decided to work stands so I wanted to work Page near a wall. I moved to a 4.5 ft solid wall that divided the upstairs lobby area from the open entrance below ... To my horror as I was about 3 ft. away Page launched herself over this wall!!

THANK GOD I had a leash on her and yanked her back as her front feet hit the molding along the top of the wall! She would have dropped straight into the building entrance one story below onto tile floors to the horror of me and the front office staff below. Who would have imagined any dog - let alone a 7 month old puppy would have thought to leap over a solid wall!!

Page has jumped on chairs and tables and cashier counters, but this takes the cake! We need more self control work, and she will now not be allowed to jump on (or over) anything without permission in the future! I've never thought about this before, because I like her boldness.

Once my heart started again, I continued working Page with a very firm grip on the leash! The more I think about this, maybe I should teach her a different water entrance for stick ponds, since she obviously hasn't inherited her mother Bizzy's good sense!

No comments: