Sunday, January 6, 2008

Reece, the part-time resident


Reece in Rally Excellent in April 2007 after two knee surgeries and 8 weeks of rehab with Dr. John Sherman of VetHab Rehabilitation Office in Raleigh, NC. (photo: Dick Clark Photography)



I've lost my Border Collie. He's now living with my parents. I'm coming to terms with the fact this really hasn't been all my decision -- it's been his!

Reece has continued to abuse his body in spite of arthritis in his knee and opposite elbow. He likes to herd the other dogs, so unless he's confined, he must be on a command (down) when around the other dogs. He doesn't see as well as he used to, so after dark he must go out the front door since it's difficult for him to navigate the steps on the back deck. It's also occasionally too difficult for him to come upstairs and join the "family" in the bonus room or to sleep in the bedroom.

My parents often dog sit for me, taking the unentered dogs when I trial. Before Thanksgiving, they took Reece and kept him for three weeks because of trials and the Invitational trip. When my mom tried to bring him back to my house, he wouldn't get out of her Suburban! His ears were pinned back and he glared at her! She had to bribe him out with peanut butter on a dog treat (are you getting a picture of maybe why Reece didn't want to come home and be treated like a dog?).

So, when Mom came to pick up Reece before Christmas, he was the happiest camper you've ever seen! No "Bye, Mom!" for me! Nope, he didn't even give me a backwards glance as his taxi arrived to carry him off to my parents' house. After New Years, there was no mention of returning him. I even offered to come get him, and Mom's response was, "Oh, we can keep him. He's having fun here and your house is much quieter without him." Truer words have NEVER been spoken!

So last night I went to my parents' house for dinner. When I got ready to leave, I went to say goodbye to Reece. The devil growled at me! He was worried I was going to take him away from his posh, retired lifestyle! I mean, he gets peanut butter on his treats, he gets to help my dad pick up sticks in the yard and feed the cats, he's out of a crate most of the day -- this is doggie heaven! I did have to mention Reece was getting a little chunky and to cut back on the peanut butter.

So it looks like I'm down to three dogs in my household now. Reece is still my guy, but I think I've been told which house he prefers!

No comments: