Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That “light bulb” moment

Oh I just love the moment the light bulb comes on and the dog gets it. Devon is such an honest dog, she shows me right away when she gets something. Yesterday was the second day in a row I’ve just isolated the “over” part of the T drill. I had two buckets 40 yards apart and I set her in the middle. After a couple to each side with me up close, I stepped back 15 yards and asked her for an "over" again. She came into me instead of going over. UGH!

So, then I had my light bulb moment. I stepped closer to her (about 7 yards away) and took a bumper from behind me and threw it to the over pile to identify it again. I immediately saw the light bulb go on for Devon; “OOOHHHH! You want me OVER THERE!” She just nailed her over. I repeated this again a little farther back, and she again nailed it. I was able to do a couple more to each side at about 15-20 yards and this time she turned and went straight “over.”

Lots of rewards for each of these correct performances! I’m going to try one more session of “over” in isolation this evening to see what I get. I know Devon well enough that I think she got it. If she did, we’ll put it all back together this weekend and see what we have.

No comments: