Thursday, January 21, 2010

The great puppy pantie search of January 2010

The girls are in season. Yes, both of them. Tuesday night Devon started during agility class, luckily caught before she could drip anywhere. When I got home I searched for her puppy panties and finally found one pair. I knew I had two more pair.

So Wednesday morning the search for the puppy panties began. I tore apart several closets looking for these two pairs. I found lots of things, but not what I was looking for. I looked everywhere I could think of and even some places I knew they wouldn't be. I just used them in April! Where could I have put them?

I went out for errands and stopped at a local pet store. They had some washable puppy panties, so I grabbed the right size and went to checkout. Imagine my horror when they rang up at more than $32! I asked if I could return them if they weren't used since I knew I had some at home that I couldn't find, and she said yes.

Back at home, I repeated my search and was still unsuccessful. I located some reasonably priced puppy panties online ... only to find they were all back ordered until mid-February! By that time I wouldn't need them! That's when I realized I better do something right away, because Page was in season and she needed puppy panties.

I went online to two local chain pet stores. Petsmart carried washable puppy panties, so I called the nearest store. Yes, they had washable puppy panties, but no larges. She had medium and XL. I asked her to hold the medium, envisioning Great Dane sized puppy panties on petite Page.

When I arrived at the store, the only checkout line was backed up with 6 people, so I found the washable panties in the store. There was no XL and the mediums clearly wouldn't work for Page, since the maximum weight was 35 pounds. I went to the front of the store hoping they also held the XL size, too ... and I saw the XL puppy panties going down the beltway and being rung up for the woman in front of me. Unbelievable!!!

I offered to purchase them from her, and she said no way. Seriously, was every 55 pound female dog in the country in season?? She did tell me if I'd go to the Petsmart on the other side of town they would have them because, "Those folks only have tiny dogs and you can always find L and XL over there." Great! It was 5 p.m. and starting to rain and the temp was 31 degrees and I had to drive across town to the worst traffic congestion. I was really in the mood to do that!

Before I left the parking lot, I called two other Petsmarts and both were out of Large puppy panties. Finally I called the store the woman suggested and sure enough they had one pair left. He said they would be waiting for me at the checkout lane.

An hour later I arrived at the store and purchased the same brand of puppy panties I had bought earlier in the day for only $20.99 plus tax. Since I was on that side of town, I decided to go a few blocks out of my way going home to check out a locally owned store that I thought would also have them (but they don't have their stock online).

On the way, I drove past a Petco and decided to stop there. Their online store only showed they stocked disposable puppy panties, but I decided since I was driving past I might as well stop. Petco had three pair of Ls, but they were marked down from $28.99 to $24.64. On the way out I asked if they price matched and was told yes. Great! I'll go just down the road to check the other store first!

At the third store I also found two pairs of L washable puppy panties (the same brand). These were $22.98. I asked if she price matched, and she said yes and called the manager. The manager came up and I showed her my receipt for $20.99 for the same item at Petsmart. The manager informed me I had to have an advertisement or she couldn't price match; the receipt wouldn't do it. She went on to explain to me that surely I could understand her position. I smiled and said, "That's fine. I'll just drive up the road and give Petco my $42." She said nothing as I walked back out the door.

Back to Petco, and I had to wait through five customers and one very angry woman asking for the manager. The guy behind the counter said no problem and rang up my two pairs of puppy panties for $20.99. Then I asked if my Petco club card would make a difference if he rang it up. He said it was a discount card, so it might. Sure enough, it took another $4.35 off each pair!

So at 7:30 p.m. I arrived home with three pairs of puppy panties. Now each girl has two pairs, and I'm sure as soon as they go out of season I'll find the other two pairs I own but cannot find.

Page is not impressed with my purchase. She was horrified at having them put on her body. After contorting herself around and trying to tug off the Velcro straps and getting told no, she immediately went over to Devon and pushed her nose against the Velcro straps on Devon's pants. Devon didn't feel one bit sorry for her since Page didn't offer to help her the night before. Devon turned and laid down on a doggie bed as if to say, "You can suffer just like me, little sister!"

Below is Page's failed attempt this morning to rub and shake the puppy panties off...



She finally admitted defeat, but you can tell by the look on her face she's still not happy. Only 21 more days to go!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That is hilarious! I have a couple of pairs here, I think a MD and a L. I had to get another pair when I was in Erie and remember making a trip to Petco. I think that was the day wasn't quick enough and Emma squatted and peed outside with her panties on. I needed a second pair while those were in the wash!

At least they're BOTH in! :)

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

My problem with finding panties for Layla is that I always have to cut the tail-hole bigger because her tail is so gigantically fluffy, but it ends up causing them to slide around. I usually just wind up getting her a pair of men's boxers, because her tail fits through their front hole.

At class last week, one of the poodles was in heat, and apparently they have special panties for poodles, with holes cut in the sides for their poofball hips. It looked like a leather thong.

Zoe said...

Cute story! At least you get it all over with in the same month. I wouldn't have the first clue what to do with puppy panties. Dexter so far is not showing any signs of the boy puppy stupids, although today on our walk, he had a failed first attempt at marking. He ended up just squat walking and dribbling down the sidewalk. Mom doesn't play the marking game. Has only lifted his leg to pee a few times on a bush, otherwise, he's still a squatter. So Page weighs 55lbs? Dex barely weighs 59lbs, he is 23.5 inches tall but very slim. We went back to agility class last week, and he just loves it! Hope all is well and at least now you have all the panties you need, just keep them in an obvious place from now on. :)
Zoe