Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fun in the snow

Yesterday the girls and I went for a woods walk in the snow at a local metropark. We had 6 inches on the ground from the weekend, and it was a Monday afternoon so the park was deserted. The sun was shining, and it was a winter wonderland. This was a wet snow and it blew in from the east, so the trees were coated.

The girls had a ball running in the woods. We went off the beaten path used by the cross country skiers so the girls could race over tree limbs and down hills. The joy of doing woods walks since the girls were little is that they'd only go so far and then turn and check in with mom. What heaven it is to have well trained pups that never go out of sight.

Well, almost never. Devon was feeling extra peppy since she's been housebound for much of the last 3 weeks since she's been in heat. She enjoyed the woods walk the most, coming back to me and leaping up to touch my cheek or my nose in pure joy. And once when we kicked up some deer, she went racing after them over a hill and disappeared. I called her (and Page came), but it took Devon a couple of extra seconds to respond. My heart skipped a beat, but when she appeared over the crest of the hill with that look of pure joy on her face I had to smile. It was if she was saying, "Yeah I know mom. I just wanted to run a little!"

We all fell asleep on the daybed before 8 p.m. last night, exhausted and happy!

No comments: