Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy (Belated) Birthday Devon!

Devon turned 4 years old on Friday. The end of last week was incredibly busy for me, especially with the trial over the weekend, so her birthday post got delayed. Even if she knew, she wouldn't be too worried.

Devon knows she's the joy of my life. She's my heart. She wakes up each morning by burying her head into my neck as if to say, "Oh mom, just 5 more minutes! Make those other dogs go away!" But then she's up to start the day helping me carry down the food bowls.

She's a joy to live with and a joy to train. If the agenda calls for a quiet evening watching tv, she's all for that snuggled in next to you. If the day calls for field training, she's right there demanding her turn. She's great at anything you ask, and if there's an audience watching all the better! I have to keep her from taking her tracking articles back to the judges or the gallery when we track. In agility class, she gets her reward by getting a toy and taking it to the instructor or laying on her back and joyously playing with her toy to the sound of everyone saying how cute she is. I'd get a complex if I didn't know she'd only go home with me!

Last fall Agile Gold spent an evening here and got to witness Devon's demanding routine if I'm too slow to deliver her dinner. Kathy said this would be a perfect blog post, and I thought there is no other time than on Devon's birthday. I'm not sure if you can appreciate the foam around her mouth because she's so excited for her meal. Sometimes that goes flying when she barks at me. One editor's note: please forgive the large chunks of black fur on my floor. Ian is blowing coat and I've had to vacuum every couple of days lately, plus Page goes in and plays in the fur sometimes. I took this video clip pre-vacuum!



A found a few photos of Devon from this past year. The biggest event in our life in the last year was earning Devon's Senior Hunter title last fall. What an accomplishment for both of us and something I'll remember for a lifetime! This weekend Devon gave me her AXJ for her birthday. Frankly, the title and ribbons were the icing, the cake is having a great run with her!

So happy birthday baby girl! You're so very special and I'm so fortunate to have you in my life!









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love those field pics of devon! If theres one thing i enjoy most about field work its those intense sparkly eyes my dog gets when its our turn..

Question - i got in touch with Mitch. My dumb dumb self did not sign up for a seminar in MD (and its too late now) so my next option would be driving 11 hours to kentucky for a seminar or 8 hours to ohio to do privates.

Are the privates just as good as the seminar or should i get my butt to a seminar instead ????