Friday, June 12, 2009

Another VST track for Page


On the way home from the kennel club, I laid another VST track for Page. This track was 437 yards long and aged 1.5 hours when she ran it. However, it only had 15% non veg, so it wasn't a hard VST track. I wanted Page to get a track with a lot of obstacles, including non veg, a building, a short woods line and a ravine.

This is only the second time I've seen Page cast like she was doing on this track. I can only think the age on short veg is causing this casting. I think it will go away as she gets more scenting experience on aged tracks with short cover.

I did remember my camera for this track, and I'm glad I did. However, it's also hard to manage the tracking line and hold a camera. Poor Page gets some bad line handling from me for the sake of the video! The first time it irritates her, but the second time she was too busy tracking to really notice.

The first turn threw Page a little, but I thought she did a nice job through the basketball court. She also did a nice job before the playground. She did a lot of casting and searching on the playground area. School has been out for a couple of weeks here, so I found that interesting. Page did a fantastic job of indicating her first article, which was metal.



You can see Page isn't strong on the restarts after an article and a reward. I think she wonders if the track is over at this point. I think I'm going to only put one kibble in the articles on the track in the future. Articles on tracks are new to her, so I am expecting a lot to have her just drop her nose and go.

After she gets restarted, Page gets distracted by something coming out of the treeline. She did get back to work when I asked her. I had planned to go across the ravine, but it had more water than I expected and I was tired of wet feet this week. You can see Page doesn't hesitate to go across the water looking for the track, but she quickly realizes it's not there and comes back to find it.

I was surprised she wanted to push up the hill early before her turn. I can only think that the wind coming from the east was pushing the scent from the new leg down the hill at her, which was causing this early turn confusion. Page finds her plastic egg easily today; that's the one she missed earlier this week.



You only get to see two of the three parts of this track. Page tracked out to the glove very nicely, and she gave me a solid indication on the final glove, too. Those article indications are really solid when she's recently had a training session that includes a down or a nose touch! I'll have to remember that!

No comments: