Thursday, September 3, 2009

We're as ready as we'll ever be!

Well, we've come to the last training day before Devon's first Senior Hunt Test. We're ready. There's nothing more I can teach her, but I bet there are still lessons for me to learn!

One thing I learned this week may seem simple, but it's very important to me. Last week when Devon lined the blind on the set up (the second time), I saw her lock. On Tuesday and Wednesday we worked blinds. Tuesday was a bit of a disaster on land blinds, but her water blinds looked good.

I didn't want to overly stress Devon on blinds this week, but I also wanted to end on a more positive note than I thought we did on Tuesday. So Wednesday morning I set up three land blinds with birds, but I also set up a T drill. I put her back on the T and did some discipline casting just to solidify good handling. Then I headed to the blinds.

Generally, these blinds were very, very good. Devon and I got into one problem, and that's when she blew off my whistle to track my path (and duck scent) between the blinds. I walked out there and re-sat her where she should have been and walked back to handle. This was plenty of a correction for her, and we got it worked out quickly.

The big lesson I learned on Wednesday was this: Devon stops panting when she locks on her blind. She closes her mouth and is ready to be sent, almost like a mark. I know this is something new that's come in the last week, since I've not really noticed it before. I'm really glad I noticed it, because I think it will help me know when to send her.

Today our field group got together for set ups. My goal for Devon today was just to have a fun, positive time on set ups with no pressure. We accomplished that. The throws we got on land weren't where they were supposed to be, but that was just fine. Devon did a great job of marking and hunting them up. Those things happen and I sometimes have a bad throw, too! She did a good job with her diversion bird and her honor.

On water, I asked the gunner to pick up a throw in the middle of the cattails. I didn't want Devon to get spooked by something two days before a test. I shouldn't have worried. On the second throw the bumper sank! In searching for her bumper, Devon went right to the old fall with no problems. I couldn't figure out why the gunner walked out to "help" until he said, "Well, if I can't see it and you can't see it, I think it sank! How is she going to find it?" Now there's a point you can't argue with! ;-) I started to call her in, but luckily we thought to just throw her a bumper so she'd get something.

After all that, we still had a memory mark out there. Never fear, Devon still got her mark even though I asked her where her dead bird was. Really, I need to keep my head a little better when things don't go as planned!

I have to make a quick comment about Page here. She did amazing today! We worked progressives on one throw on each set up (land and water). Page is figuring out how to work past an old fall and go to where she marked it. I saw this earlier in the week when we worked progressives on a hill. Page is wicked smart, and she proved it today.

On water, she'd only seen progressives up on the opposite shore once, and her first reaction was to drive up on shore! Good girl! And whether or not they knew it, Sheree and Laurie as gunners taught Page another valuable lesson today: how to get back in the water with something in your mouth.

This is a lesson each dog must learn, and it's a hard one. I saw the confusion on Page's face and she started around the bank. But Sheree stopped her and very gently pointed to the water and said something like take it back to mom. Page again looked confused, like, "Hey lady, I have something in my mouth! I can't get back in the water like this!" But she started back toward the water and with my encouragement and Sheree's, she got back in and swam to me. Once was all she needed because the next mark was way up on the opposite bank, and Page was out, got her mark, and back in the water like a pro!

After we were finished cleaning up, Janet appeared with a card and a little purple wrapped box for me. The group got me a couple of little gifts to carry with me during the test to remind me they were thinking of me. I was really touched and got big tears in my eyes (I'm a really big softy). I got a hand-made (by Steve and Janet) rock that said "Believe." There was a story, but I think it's special it's hand made! And I got a coin with a dragonfly on one side, and on the back it says, "Sometimes you have to jump to know you can fly."

Well, we're jumping and I hope we fly! Devon's mother is from the Flying litter, and these pups are talented field dogs. As Laurie wrote in my card, we've done the work and now it's time to enjoy it. So that's my goal for our first Senior test weekend: to enjoy it.

No matter what happens, I get to walk to the line with the best girl. And isn't that all that really matters?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it. Sure wish I was going to be there.

kgiff said...

Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about it.

lilmack3562 said...

Good luck Devon girl! You can do it! Deb- trust your dog! :cP