Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ian's first test of the new weave style

On Saturday, we went to a USDAA match hosted by Sky Blue Events. I'm excited there will be another local venue for agility, and I definitely wanted to support this effort. This was also a good way to test Ian's new weave protocol and see if his new style would translate. I'm happy to say it did!

I used Gamblers as weave practice, setting him up for Weaves, Jump, Weaves. The first set of weaves was in the new low, single tracking style, but he was slower than he his here. That was OK, because I know he isn't fond of this particular set of weave poles since it has a full crossbar he must step over. He came out on the second time through, but I pulled him out and got him all excited in preparation for his re-try. It worked and my friend Kathy said, "It looked like you were playing a game with him and he knew it and responded!" He did with a great set of poles.

In Standard he reverted back to his tip-toe, two step, macaroni around the poles until he went past the cross bar, then settled into his new low, single step style and sailed through the rest of the poles. I was pleased with this effort.

All in all I think the two week effort has paid off, and I'm planning on continuing the isolation work and proofing of the poles. With another three weeks until our next trial, we have lots of time to continue to improve!

No comments: