Monday, January 12, 2009

Ian feels left out

Ok, I got the new video camera and I've only used it for Devon's runs so far. Poor Ian, always getting left out. So I decided to ask Terrie to video tape him. 

Generally you will notice I'm telling Ian what an incredibly brilliant dog he is all the way through both runs. This is my recent discovery after months of inconsistency -- Ian needs to hear how wonderful he is all the time. Sigh! I've finally decided that he's given me so much over the last two years, I can give back to him. If his ego needs to be boosted through the entire run, I'll do it. It's paying off since he was a perfect 4 for 4 this weekend with placements in every class. And you'll also note how good his weave poles are! They only improved all weekend!

The Excellent B JWW course was first on Sunday morning, running tall dogs first. Ian was about the 6th dog on the line and I believe he was one of the first to qualify. I was really glad when I saw two straight tunnels on this course that I didn't have the world's fastest border collie -- or even a mildly speedy dog of any breed! Let me tell you seeing two straight tunnels on the course when you walk in the door is better than coffee to wake you up at 7 a.m.!! Ian ran this in 4.11 YPS, which is a little more sluggish than normal for him. I was proud of my handling and felt I gave him very good direction. My pre-cues for my front crosses were nice, but my rear cross after the weaves was a little late (since he had to turn and look at me to see where he was going because he knew over the ring gate and into the gallery's lap wasn't right). I want it noted that I do know how to layer! 

The Excellent B Standard course was a challenge, but I appreciate how judge Edie Allyn let the dogs open up and run as well as push us handlers to prove our skills. I'm becoming an Edie Allyn groupie now, and I may start stalking her trials after we went a perfect 4 for 4 with Ian AND Devon ... more about that later, this post is supposed to be about Ian!

I walked this course several times thinking about the best path for Ian. The opening was tough, even for Ian -- a front cross after a triple, a long pinwheel ending in a panel with a front cross where I jammed him right into the weave poles. The front cross after the weaves was designed to keep him away from the off course first jump, but I got back on my heels and almost didn't get him into the tunnel. I'm particularly proud of my position after the chute to clearly indicate the correct direction on not either of the off course jumps that sucked a lot of dogs. 

The only miscalculation was when I thought a front cross onto the dogwalk would help him more than a post turn ... I was clearly WRONG about that, as Ian nearly stopped dead and said, "No Momma! I don't like that approach!" Luckily he never stopped completely and must have been too far away from the plane to call a refusal. The judge was right behind me, so she had a nice look at him dancing around out there before he saved my butt and got on the dogwalk. Good boy!


No comments: