Saturday, December 6, 2008

Devon's first AKC weekend (kind of)

This was Devon's first FULL weekend of AKC trialing. She trialed in JWW last year about this time, but I pulled her for more work (which was delayed until this fall due to her injury in the spring). Devon made such awesome progress this fall, I entered her in this local AKC trial, two weeks before her planned CPE trial and a month before what I had hoped would be her first AKC trial.

Devon did an awesome job for a baby dog. We're still having issues with the weaves; other things in the ring that are new are far more interesting than weaving. However, she generally did an awesome job. Here's my take on today's runs:

Novice JWW: Devon dropped the first bar, but I set her back farther than I usually do to get a bigger lead out. This was dumb, but it didn't hurt her any. The Novice courses I've seen lately are all leaning toward rear crosses, and while this one had two places for front crosses, I only did one of the two I had planned because she was moving so fast I was afraid to step into her path on the second one. I did change her lead on the flat even though I crossed behind her on the take off side of the jump before the weaves. However, looking at this video, it appears I would have had time for that second front cross I'd planned.

In looking at the video following the run, I thought I was too close to the weaves, so I backed up for the Standard run. I think that was a good call, but I also think we have a LOT of weave proofing work to do in the next month!

Novice Standard: This was the hardest weave entrance I've ever seen in Novice (heck, the weave entrance for Excellent and Open was a bear too!). The angle from the first jump, to the weaves, to the chute were impossible for baby dogs. That being said, I was pleased Devon got her head into the second pole on that second try. I probably should have gone on after that attempt, and I will next time. The problem at the chute was simply the angle from the weaves to the chute. After that she did a fantastic job! Her contacts were great (even as she wagged her tail and gave the judge a smile on the A frame). 

The table caused the most "baby dog" moments. Devon has an automatic down on the table, and it was like she was having so much fun she just lost herself and kept popping up. I'd look at her and say, "box." And she'd drop again like, "Darn it! Sorry mom, I forgot!" The judge throws up her hands, but she was actually giggling behind me because Devon was just so stinking cute with her bright eyes dancing and her big Golden grin. I'm glad Devon didn't hear the judge's giggles, because I'm sure she would have felt the need to say hello! 

Devon handled the teeter just fantastic -- no hesitation at all! And how she made that broad jump after almost crashing into me I'll never know. Wish I could have seen my face on that one!


I am just so proud of this girl! She did a great job, especially since she's only been back working agility again since the second week of September!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Nice runs, Deb! Was Devon only entered 1 day, or do I have more videos to look forward to?

Why don't you video tape some of your weave training and share? She hasn't quite gotten her footwork figured out yet, at least at the trial.

Her teeter looked perfectly confident. I love how her head is so low b/c she's anticipating the tip.

Don't you love running a baby dog?