Monday, December 1, 2008

The ups and downs of trialing

Ian’s trialing career has now gone into a period of highs or lows. After giving me a thrilling day on Friday, Saturday was the opposite. Actually, I would have been fine with him completely crashing the course. Instead, he decided once again he couldn’t weave with the judges moving and people watching. UGH! That’s the ONLY thing he did wrong on both courses. I made him get back in the weaves and do them. However, I was worried I’d create a performance issue (again) if I got on him too much.

So, on Sunday morning, I decided we were going to have fun. I gave him lots of warm up time with happy talk, and he was wagging his tail clear to the start. The opening was tough with a wrap from a tunnel to the dogwalk, but he did that well. I was quiet and gave him distance in the weaves, and once again he popped out. I told him that wasn’t acceptable, and turned him around. When I asked for them again, I said, “Ready, ready, WEAVE!!” He raced in and I continued my wacky cheering voice. At that moment I realized the problem. I wasn’t being crazy like I am in the backyard when we do weaves. Ian was worried in the weaves because I was too quiet and not cheering him enough. Goodness!

So I cheered him all through the rest of the course, which was brilliant. I was also running faster and with more purpose. He got a fun happy jackpot party after the run. So, my goal for JWW, the last run of the weekend, was to run with purpose and really have a ball in the weaves. Ian was brilliant! He was confident, fast, and you should have seen him weave! He was 8.03 seconds under SCT for a whopping 4.59 yps – his third fastest JWW run in his career. What a goober! He enjoyed his jackpot party after the run and we ended the weekend on a great note. I guess being 50% and earning 21 MACH points isn’t too bad for a three-day trial.

No comments: