Monday, December 8, 2008

Mr. Connor has retired

Connor earned his OAP Saturday, finishing his career. While it is a sad thing to really retire this wonderful dog, I’m glad we could go out with two beautiful runs that included perfect weave performances.

Connor would have been perfectly happy to be a companion dog; in fact he’s from a “pet” litter. He was exactly what I needed to follow my hard-driving border collie Reece. He’s been my patient partner as we learned agility and tracking. Although he will never reach Ian’s accomplishments in agility or Devon’s accomplishments in tracking, he allowed me to learn the sports so I could do great things with the dogs to come. He has been patient with the younger dogs, playing with the puppy Ian when no one else would and teaching Devon how to run the pack as a benevolent leader. Connor has given me a love for Golden Retrievers, with their versatility and biddability that ensures the breed’s place in my house forever.

Connor has had a very good performance career, and one that many would envy. While I wish we could have gone to greater heights because I enjoy our partnership, I know he prefers to just have fun and not be competitive. When things got too tough, or especially when I got too competitive, Connor said this isn’t for me and left the ring. During the past 4 years he has taught me valuable lessons on being a good teammate and putting things in perspective. And like every good teacher, he’s rewarded me for lessons learned; in our case he’s given us a “second” agility career in the last 2 years, earning his AX, six MXJ legs, 18 MACH points, NAP, OJP and OAP.

But most of all, Connor is part of my heart. My sweet boy who shares the couch and the bed, who is really only concerned about “going” so he does not miss out on getting pets and possibly treats from others. So if you see him at a trial any time soon, please spend some time telling him what a great dog he is. We’ll both appreciate it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A well deserved retirement!

Kathy said...

We love you, Connor!