Saturday, December 13, 2008

Devon's USDAA Starters Jumpers course


Devon and I left the house this morning at 5:30 a.m. to run the first class at a USDAA trial. I entered her only in Starters Jumpers. She's been measuring into the Championship 22 inch class; but she's not secure on 12 weave poles and has not see a tall A frame, so I decided we should just run this one class to work on teamwork. In February we ran a USDAA Starters Jumpers course at the same building, and it didn't go well mostly due to "green" teamwork. I was interested to see what today's run would bring and what difference 10 months of maturity and 3 months of intensive agility training would do.

I was very pleased with this run! It was fast and well executed. As you can see from the video, Devon really has to think and push herself a little harder to clear 22 inches, which isn't a bad thing. She's tucking her rear feet nicely, but she is taking off a little early and jumping more from her front. Her usual 20 inch jump height is so easy for her, I'm not surprised by this style when she has to work a little harder.

On my end, the only handler error (and this is really picky) I see was when she started to turn back on the last rear cross, I redirected her mainly using my right arm which could have changed her lead (thankfully she was smarter than that). She actually read the rear on the take off side of the jump better than the rear on the landing side.

And for the icing -- Devon not only qualified her run, but she also placed 4th! SCT was 31 on a 107 yard course. Devon ran the course in 21.87 which was 4.89 yards per second. Out of 10-12 dogs in this competitive 22 inch height, Devon was right behind three border collies, one who runs in Excellent/Masters level in AKC. I think Devon's Aunt Abbi needs to have a talk with her about the need to beat border collies!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

That was a fun course. I wish I had our run on video. (SANTA, are you listening?)

We had to get up around 4AM to make it to the trial for check-in.

kgiff said...

Devon looks great! Way to give those BCs a run for their money!

- Kelly & Riot (Gaylan's green commedian)

Deb said...

It was a fun course, and those BCs better watch out! However, I'd like to know what went through Devon's mind when she turned to that 22 inch triple! I think it was the canine version of "oh crap!" Her time would have been even faster if she wasn't thinking so hard about jumping. It's good to expand her horizons!

C-Lee said...

Hey Deb..
Nice run.. glad to see your video up! Devon looked like she was having fun and very focused.. yipee.. good for you both.