Sunday, December 7, 2008

Devon's first trial weekend, day 2

In answer to Kathy's question: Here's day 2! Today was better than yesterday from my end. I felt like I handled better. Devon did a great job, and she's so confident out there. She did visit the judge due to stress during the weaves in JWW, But after she noticed the judge during the table count in Standard, she made the correct decision to get to work at the weaves instead of saying hello. She also didn't go see friend Jim who was bar setting in Standard (Jim has Goldens and according to Devon gives AWESOME belly rubs). So while she noticed the ring crew on day 2, she didn't go say hello.

I looked at the JWW course, and thought, "You've got to be kidding me!" on the first three jumps. I walked the opening with a rear after the double, and then finally walked the front cross. Ahhh, the judge was nicer than the course looked. The angle from 2 to 3 was actually a perfect front cross set for a baby dog. So as you can see from the clip below, I did the front cross and followed it with a second one before the tunnel. These crosses went well, and let me tell you she was moving! All I could hear on the course was her running paws, and all I could do was focus on running and being where I needed to be. I was also pleased with my voice. I used a quiet confident voice, and I think she was pleased -- I like it.

The only bobble in the course was the weaves (again). The sun coming in the back window competing with the overhead lights made even seeing the weaves tough for the baby dogs. Devon got her entrance the first time. You'll see the shake that indicates stress. After the second time, she comes back to say hello to the judge -- big sign to me to give up and move on, which I did. She ended fantastic.


Novice Standard: I decided that as long as she gave me a good attempt at the weaves, we'd go on. With her other runs, she's been over time due to the weaves. I was curious what a "typical" course time would be for her.  The last six obstacles of the Novice course were the same as the Open and Excellent course with a different end obstacle (we had a tire and Open/Excellent had a double). I thought this was tough for the baby dogs. Devon saw the teeter off the dogwalk and wanted to go to it, but she came back to me and took the correct tunnel. It took me until the second viewing to see that I actually pushed Devon toward the dogwalk as she came out of the tunnel because of my movement (I thought it was because my backside was pointed there). Devon came out of that tunnel faster than her brother Ian did!

Devon was 10 seconds under standard course time, and she was 7 seconds over course time in JWW (due to our three attempts at the weaves). This made me happy because I know a friend who has a border collie with good speed in Open JWW was over course time with only one error on the course. Course times this weekend were very, very tight, so I was pleased with Devon's times.


I would like to thank volunteer videographers Forrest, Cathi and Liz! Thanks guys, you did GREAT!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Awwwwwwwww....I am SO proud of her! :)

What a good girl!