Thursday, April 2, 2009

Becoming a children's reading dog

Devon passed her Delta Society Pet Partners evaluation last  year shortly after she turned 2 years old, and I completed my testing shortly after that. We've been searching for a way to use Devon's abilities as a therapy dog. She is especially good with children, so I was hoping to get involved that way.

Well, instead of waiting for a program to come to us, one day on a whim I asked at my local library if they had a program. Turns out, they were wanting to start one and didn't know how to find a dog! In 2 weeks Devon will launch the library's program to improve children's reading skills. Based on advice from the Gaylan's family and especially Anita, Devon and I are preparing for her first session. 

Here's what we're doing:
  1. I'm shaping Devon to lay on a special blanket. My mom got Devon a very cute blanket that was handmade by one of the ladies in her church. It's quilted fleece, and it is red with black paw prints on one side and a variety of dog themed fabrics on the other side in white, red and blue. Devon figured out very quickly that she was to lay down on it, after first trying to sit and then (you guessed it) use her paws to paw at it. Anita also says that the blanket alerts Devon to what is expected and that only Devon and the child share the blanket. I think this will go a long way to cuing Devon she's supposed to settle and go into therapy mode.
  2. Teaching Devon to nose touch the book. I'm teaching her to touch the book so when a child points out something in the book to Devon, she will nose touch the book as if she's looking at what the child wants to show her. I'm shaping this with me pointing to the book. I hope to be able to say to the child, "Show Devon the (an object) on the page" and have the child point to the book and Devon nose touch.
  3. Anita also suggests that I not be afraid to interrupt and lean over as if I'm listening to Devon and say, "Devon doesn't understand what (such and such in the book) is. Can you explain what that is to her?" Or I could say, "Devon thinks it's funny when you make that sound, can you do it again?" I think I need to be careful it's not the sound of a motorboat, or Devon might sail into the puppy zoomies!
As Anita said, the goal of the program is to make reading fun for the children. Studies show reading to an animal can improve children's reading ability. Based on Devon's skill with children, I think she's going to really enjoy this!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to take the blanket and book to a new location and practice. On Saturday, Devon will take her first tour of the library, and we'll take our blanket and book and practice where she will be doing the program. Next week we're practicing with a few children, before the first formal program on National Library Week.

So, get out a good book and read to your dog! Devon recommends Blue's Clues!

1 comment:

kgiff said...

It sounds like Devon is going to be great at it! I can't wait to hear how it goes.