Saturday, April 25, 2009

Now I know why she was so quiet!

Remember when I posted yesterday and said Page was mellow before her woods walk? I was surprised by this but attributed it to me waking her in the middle of a nap. She was also more subdued on her woods walk than I anticipated. Well, I finally figured out the reason yesterday afternoon. She has a bladder infection.

Deep down I knew it the day before. She was just pottying way too often. But by yesterday she really felt crappy. Devon went through this, too, but it was at a slightly older age; and Ian also went through it at 9 weeks. The next time I get a puppy, I'm just going to get the antibiotics at the first vet check!

Of course, I'm really lucky my uncle is our vet. I called him, and he called in a prescription at my local pharmacy. An hour later I went to pick it up. I gave the pharmacist my name, and she searched all over for it. She asked what it was, and I said pediatric amoxicillin. Then she said, "Oh! For the dog! I had it under Page." Now why didn't I think of that?

Even with just one dose at dinner, I noticed a difference last night. She was just feeling better. And she was also better with the older dogs, even though she tried! Devon gave her two good corrections when Page jumped on Devon's head. And Connor got a bone and laid down to chew it near her. When she got up to check it out, he growled. She sat back and considered. After that, all he had to do was flick his lip at her, and she'd get really respectful. Ian continued to watch from a distance, but he did approach her and sniff her a couple of times.

I also had the house leash on Page attached to me while she played. The little stinker figured out who was controlling her! She walked up close to me, grabbed the end of the leash attached to me and started tugging to get her freedom. What a little stink pot! And of course all the toys and bones in the room were piled within her reach!

The other really funny thing she did last night was air scent my dinner. I was walking with the plate from the kitchen to the dining room and she was standing there kicking up her nose following my plate! I suddenly had a vision of her mother Bizzy standing in my kitchen! I was only around Bizzy for two days, but we all knew how Bizzy loved food!

And speaking of Bizzy, I have to post this "free puppy ad" her mom Donna created when Bizzy was a puppy. Gambler is Donna's older Toller, and he really didn't like Bizzy's abuse. Devon would have told him to correct her, but apparently he was too nice. Donna reports he hasn't been as forgiving with future puppies! Bizzy wore him down!

No comments: