Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Mom, being at 'home' feels a lot like traveling."

Page's first day at "home" felt a lot like her first 3 days with us. I think I passed my first "new morning routine" test pretty well. Feeding and managing four dogs with one being a puppy is a trick! I'm using a house leash inside and a long line outside on Page. This allows me to stay close to her and manage her when the adult dogs are around. Right off this morning it prevented her from chasing Ian both in the house and outside. It is also teaching her to focus on me more than bonding with the adult dogs, something that's very important for our performance career. 

One of the first interesting things that happen this morning was between Connor and Devon. Connor decided he wanted to play with Page after breakfast. Connor has raised both Ian (when no one else would play with him) and Devon, so I know he's good with puppies. However, Devon didn't want Connor near "her" puppy! She walked between Page and Connor and even shoved Connor away from Page, nipping at his neck. I guess Devon really does like Page!

First thing this morning we were off to see my vet, who is also my uncle. My dad rode with us for company. Uncle John loves Devon and he felt the same about Page. Right away he noticed that they were quite different in personality! Where Devon is quiet and sits politely, Page was perpetual motion. As we were going over Gayle's medical protocols, Page kept trying to pull the papers from his hands! Page was a good girl for her shot and weighed in at 13+ pounds. After pronouncing her a very busy girl and wishing me all sorts of luck with this wild one, we were on the road again. 

Our next stop was to visit my Grandparents' Abbott. Page went inside and enjoyed being petted, but she'd been napping, so she was also ready for some fun! My grandmother found some of their dog's toys (which he never plays with; being a farm dog he prefers empty plastic bottles). Page had a great time chasing and pouncing on these toys and proving how great she was at steps. She also was a handy retriever, returning a dropped metal bookmark and a screwdriver from the floor.

Next, it was on to see my Grandmother Scamahorn. Again, Page went right up several steps to the front door and trotted right inside this new house. She's such a bold, confident little girl. She played on the floor and climbed around the chair legs, another signature specialty of hers.

Finally, we dropped Dad off at home. Our friend Debbie, who makes my house clean, was at my parent's place and she came out to meet Page. My Grandmother S. was on the phone to Mom, telling her how cute and spunky Ms. Page was!

We headed home for quick lunch for me and Devon, and out time for the boys. Page was in rare form after her morning of "meet and greets." Here's a quick video clip of her playing by herself in the living room. What a funny puppy she is!



This afternoon, Devon, Page and I got back in the SUV, picked up Mom and went across town to Sheree Farber's house. Sheree is an amazing person who works wonders on our of place and sore muscles. She is also an expert in canine structure and is now working in performance sports with her Goldens. She couldn't wait to see Page. 

Although tired, Page perked up to meet Sheree. Then she napped as Devon, Mom and I got worked on. After two long trips to New York and many hotel beds, I needed the work and can't wait to crawl into bed tonight.

The rest of our evening involved Page, Devon and Connor playing outside for more than an hour. Connor was able to play with Page some, but Devon continued to interrupt and play with Connor instead. As this interraction happened between Connor, Devon and Page, I realized some of what is happening is the change in pack leadership from Connor to Devon. Connor is getting older and should turn the pack over to Devon, who is ready to take it. However, as much as he's trained her to lead, he's also fighting the transition. The new dynamic of Page in the house is leading to some interesting interactions between Connor and Devon over the pack leadership. I saw similar interactions when Golden Reba and puppy Denver stayed with me last summer. Connor went from top dog to #3 when Reba, a dominate girl, came in and took the pack over and elevated Devon with her.
 
Then we all had dinner and after the dogs napped had more play time. The older dogs quickly tired of the rambunctious puppy, and Page was put to bed a little while ago. After two nights here, I'm learning that Page doesn't crash in the late evening when she's tired. Instead like a toddler fighting sleep, she gets manic. She gets the puppy zoomies and flings herself at me and the other dogs. As soon as I put her in her crate, she curled up and fell asleep without even a whimper.

2 comments:

Lise Pratt said...

Deb:

What a hoot watching her on the video playing in the living room! Glad you made it home safely.

Kathy said...

Chuckling about the puppy zoomies in the evening and then crashing!