Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ian the tracking demo dog

At the tracking seminar I wanted to show the students when to start weaning their dogs off food on the track. I think that’s an important step that they need to see. Ian is a great dog to show that, because he tracks along and when he realizes he misses food, he abruptly stops and turns back for the food. However, Ian’s issues with people were a concern. Would he track with other people watching?

I laid the track and went to get him. He was so excited when he saw the tracking harness and wiggled so much it was hard to get the harness on. He saw all the people along the driveway and puffed a little. Then he saw a St. Bernard tied to the back of a truck eyeing him. He had to walk between the dog and the people to get to his track. To my surprise, he ignored all of it and pulled me to his flag!

Ian was the perfect demo dog showing exactly what I wanted him to – not only a nose down, pulling tracking dog, but also a dog that needed less food on the track. I was so proud of him!

His desire and performance on this track showed me something else too – he loves tracking more than agility. He would have never worked past those conditions for an agility course. He would have worried and barked and stressed. I really believe this dog is going to be a great tracking dog.

No comments: