Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lessons learned from a match

Last weekend the Ft. Wayne Obedience Training Club offered a B Match following their agility trial on Friday and Saturday. I wanted to use it as an opportunity to get Devon on new equipment and see how confident she really was. I also wanted it to be a completely positive experience. 

Here’s what I learned:

  • Devon is not ready for weaves. She totally didn’t know what to do with them as she showed me in class.
  • Devon is very confident in sequencing jumps and tunnels.
  • Devon really reads my body and motion; I don’t have to use obstacle names. She’s handling way better than she did last year, and she truly understands it.
  • Devon is committing to the jumps better/earlier, and I’m able to get some lateral distance so I don’t have to baby sit jumps.
  • Devon is giving me lead outs and reading the turns in the air and before the jumps.
  • Devon absolutely needs to be right. I gave her a difficult turn off an obstacle, and she wasn’t ready for it. She got stressed and confused.
  • I must remain positive and convince Devon she’s always right or she will shut down.
  • Devon tires easily with these new experiences.

No comments: