Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tracking seminar and tracking Connor

Last week I did an introduction to tracking seminar for Ruth at Pawsitive Energy. This was the first seminar I’ve done, and it went well. I went way over time, and I know the lecture part was too long. I’ve adjusted the outline and I think I plan to limit the number of dogs and/or lengthen the time of the seminar.

I think the best thing I learned from the seminar is what I need to be doing with Connor. It’s funny how you learn more about tracking your own dogs by teaching others. Earlier in the day Connor and I had another certification attempt and he failed – again. This is the fourth time he’s failed. I was so discouraged. Steve gave me some good tips, but also agreed that Connor may never certify. On the way to Ruth’s I had decided to give up on Connor’s tracking.

However, as I worked with the beginners and laid a turn for a green dog, I realized some things I could do with Connor. I don’t think Connor truly understands turns. I think I’m still doing all the work for him on turns. I need to take step back and really work on teaching him turns. Will this work? I don’t know. What I do know is he does understand his job on straight line tracking but he doesn’t indicate turns well at all.

All I know is Connor does LOVE to track when it’s just the two of us in the field. If that’s all the farther he gets, that’s fine with me. We’ll still keep working and having fun.

No comments: