Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Into a group agility class

I registered Devon in a group class at a local dog training club, Pawsitive Partners. My friend Liz teaches the class, and it is a good one for Devon with a lot of dogs at her level. In her first week, I did 4-5 obstacle sequences with breaks and rewards. I was very pleased with her sequencing, specifically on jumping, A frame and dogwalk. She also did spread jumps, table and a chute, which she has rarely seen, with confidence.

The one interesting thing is she could not do the weave poles. I had thought she was more ready for 6 straight up poles than she was. She never got them and looked a lot like she did last winter when I first started trialing her and she wasn’t ready. Hummmm, we need more weave work.

We start a second group class, or actually restart a group class, with K9 Athletes after the first of November. I think the two classes per week will be a great way to get her used to a lot of new equipment in various environments to prepare her for trialing. It will also give me sequencing once or twice a week all winter when I cannot train sequencing at home. 

No comments: