Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Maybe Ian is bored

I'm starting to subscribe to the theory Ian is bored with agility. He double Q’d both days for a perfect weekend, but his times were very slow. He only earned 17 points total, which is usually something he can do in one double Q day. I know he wasn’t hurt because my chiro vet was there and checked him over. He’s also been worried about judges again. Granted he’s had some not so great judge experiences this year, but no one so far has reached out and grabbed him! And he’s far too seasoned to be doing this!

Agility is all Ian has been doing since April 2007, and one of the ideas we’ve been kicking around is that he’s bored and needs new challenges. I’ve already decided to cut back on his trailing schedule for the next 6 months, so I thought maybe I’d increase his tracking focus.

Monday night Ian ran a 100 yard track at 30 minutes age at a local city park. He was screaming to get out of the van when we came back to his track. I could barely hold him still to get his harness on him while he wagged and air scented and turned his neck backwards looking for his flag (really, this was Ian and not Devon). He tracked me all the way to the start flag. During his track he perfectly indicated a cross track (likely a deer) and selected the correct track (mine) and kept going straight.

While he was tracking, two guys on bikes rode by about 75 ft. from us talking really loudly (I could hear them 1/4 of a mile away), and Ian didn't even look at them. As he got to his glove, another guy on a bike approached with what looked like a 120 pound cream-colored beast running beside him. As they got closer, it was a yellow Lab about the color of Connor only 3 times the size running next to the bike, ears and tongue flying. Again, only 75 ft. from us, and Ian was playing tug with his leather glove at the end of the track and NEVER SAW THEM! I did turn Ian away from the nutty beast running beside the bike, but we could see them for a 1/4 mile in front and behind us!  

How does Ian not even see all that his happening around him during a 100 yard track, but he can’t do weave poles with the judge moving in the ring on Sunday??? This dog drives me nuts! Now you see why I’ve said no more than ONE Belgian in the house at a time! The good news is Ian clearly loves to track. This dog will be the death of me yet!

No comments: