Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Three sports: just another training day for Devon

When I said I wanted a Golden to do everything with, Gayle certainly gave me the right girl! Devon is just a joy to train. Monday was a perfect example. At 5:30 a.m. we did obedience training, starting with articles inside and then moving to the building to work heeling and start go-outs. When I got home from work we headed outside to do agility work, sequencing with focus on weaves and the teeter. She did awesome, and she’s really putting things together nicely.

We left the house around 5:30 p.m. to go to the park to lay a track for Ian and work field with Devon while it aged. The last time I worked her on mini-T, she got confused with the over piles and the back pile. Even though we’d been successful at Mitch’s on this drill, I realized we hadn’t reviewed just right and left backs in isolation since stopping handling drills in March. So, I set up just a back pile at 60 yards to work right and left backs. I also set my cell phone alarm for 15 minutes before I got Devon out to work, since Mitch felt she got bored with more than that amount of work.

Let me tell you, Devon made these back piles look easy! On 9 bumpers, she only slipped one sit whistle (but I still got her to stop), and she didn’t miss a single handle. She was sharp and precise with all but one whistle and on every handle, and she RAN to and from the piles. We stopped working at that point, because she’d been so successful we didn’t need the last 5 minutes!

What a great girl to work three sports in one day! I’m super careful to keep all her sessions at no more than 15 minutes so she doesn’t burn out.  And she looked as fresh on the last drill at 6:15 p.m. as she was at 5:30 a.m. that morning (Ok, she did get to sleep all day while I was at work). 

No comments: