Sunday, February 1, 2009

Better than green ribbons

On Saturday, Devon and I didn't earn any green ribbons at our agility trial, but she did something very special off the course. After Devon's first run, we headed out of the ring back to my chair for her jackpots. But before we reached my chair, Devon slid to a stop and sat at the feet of a disabled man who had been watching the trial most of the day. This is remarkable for Devon, because usually when she spies someone she wants to "greet" at an agility trial, she'll put her front feet right in the their lap before I can blink. But Devon is truly Lily's daughter, the therapy dog. As in other cases, she knew instinctively this time she was to sit quietly at his feet. He petted her and talked to her and laid his head against hers, and she responded by looking at him adoringly. He told me she was his new friend and she was a wonderful dog. And she did all this instead of getting her treats after her run!
 
As we were warming up for her second run, our new friend reached for her and wanted to see her again. I asked if he could hold her "after run cookies" and told him we'd come right to see him when we were done in the ring. He was all smiles after our run and Devon enjoyed the time spent with him and her post-run cookies. This time he hugged her and told her she was a very good dog. And she even earned me a thank you hug! 
 
So this weekend, my little therapy dog made me a pretty proud mom -- who cares about those green ribbons, anyway!

No comments: