Monday, February 2, 2009

More analysis of this weekend’s trial

I’ve been thinking a lot about Devon’s runs this weekend. I have the same problem as most dog trainers: I focus on the negative instead of the positive. Unfortunately our biggest negative came at the end of Devon’s last course of the weekend, so it stuck with me longer.

Devon had nice runs on Saturday, but she had exceptional runs on Sunday. Devon was confident and fast and focused. She hung onto that table performance on Sunday when most dogs would have fallen off. My work in class on building that confidence really paid off this weekend. In only her third weekend of trialing in both Standard and JWW, she’s really shaking off the “baby dog” stuff and showing me glimpses of a great agility dog.

Every skill is coming together, and I need to continue to work them. I need to hold her contacts longer. I need to do minimal lead outs in competition to maintain confidence. I need to work crosses off contacts, like front crosses and pushes. Her skills at jumping are quite good. The front cross after the slice of the jump between the table and teeter in Sunday’s Standard run was really lovely. And the rear at the end of Saturday’s jumpers run was equally impressive. And her teeter, which was an issue for so long, is strong and confident. You would never know she had an issue.

I’ve decided I’m going to stop “fixing” the weaves in competition, as long as Devon drives to them and works them. Devon’s two perfect weave runs this weekend tell me she can get them (and those were the two hardest entrances). In her second failed weave attempt in Standard on Sunday, she did work the last three poles with speed. I should have accepted that and had a big party.

I’m remembering the lessons Connor taught me about how obsessing on one issue can sour a dog on the whole game and create career-long issues. Instead, I’m going to continue to develop the speed and confidence Devon showed me this weekend, instead of shutting her down and stressing the weaves in competition. 

2 comments:

Kathy said...

A little mental management help:

1. After your runs, focus on the positive things first.

2. Then move to "things you need to find solutions for"--NOT "things we didn't do well."

3. Continue to train and love your dogs!

Deb said...

You are awesome, Kathy! Thanks for the tips!