Sunday, February 1, 2009

Another perfect weekend for Ian!

Ian had another incredible weekend. He again earned a qualifying score in every class, placing 4th in both Standard and JWW on Saturday and winning the Standard class today and taking 2nd in JWW. Every run was strong and confident, but I have to say the best run, today's Standard run, wasn't on tape. 

There are times in our dogs' careers when we have magical runs. Sometimes, those are career topping runs, but for me those runs have always come at local trials. They are usually when I walk the course and see one devil of a challenge. At that point it becomes me and my dog against the course. And when your team tackles the challenge without even a monent's hestitation when that invisible bond connects you into a fluid team, it's magical. Today's standard course was that type of course. It required me to trust my dog's skills and me to be in just the right place to execute the plan perfectly -- and we both did our jobs. This course ate the big dogs up, but Ian and I were 10 seconds under time, and won the class. Even though it's not on tape, I'll replay it in my mind for a very long time.

Ian earned double Qs #39 and #40, plus 40 MACH points this weekend. Only 457 more points for his MACH2! 

Saturday's Standard Run 
182 yards, SCT 64 seconds, Ian's time 52.98 (4th place)
One comment on this run. The judge was good friend David Hirsch, who Ian has known since he was a puppy. I didn't think Ian would even notice he knew the judge, since judges are such scary things to him. Make sure you pay special attention to Ian during the sit on the table. As Dave is counting, watch Ian's head! He never even flicked an ear to Dave again, but he sure did greet him after the trial when Dave came to say hello!


Saturday's Jumpers with Weaves course
156 yards, SCT 42 seconds, Ian's time 36.16 seconds (4th place)



Sunday's JWW course
148 yards, SCT 39 seconds, Ian's time 35.88 seconds (2nd place)


2 comments:

Lysiane said...

I agree wholly on those magical moments where you and your dog have concured a difficult course. It's so much more rewarding than getting a Q off an easy course. What a good boy Ian is! Did you see in the jumpers courses that he really starts putting the speed on those last 5 weave poles. . .he's ready and raring to get going! All of a sudden you just see him pick up speed! It's really cool to see.

Deb said...

Ha ha! That speed in the poles is RELIEF that they're almost over! I think he's concentrating too hard early on to go fast!