Monday, February 2, 2009

Deep thoughts

Agile Gold has been following Susan Garrett’s Dog Training Blog. Many here in central Indiana follow Susan’s methods. Starting my agility career in central Ohio, I have primarily followed Linda Mecklenburg’s methods, and I’m not as familiar with Susan’s methods. I find I am really enjoying Susan’s blog, especially her unique perspective on life. Recently, she had two posts that were quite good and a little off the subject of training: “Lesson’s in Life’s Processes… get the Kleenex” and “Continuing with Life’s Processes.” As Connor turns 9 years old and Reece is nearing 12 years old with a failing body, these two posts spoke to me. They were a good guide to how older dogs impact our lives and how they intertwine with our younger dogs.

Most of all I want to thank Susan for posting this quote from Rev. Billy Graham: “I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there in Heaven, I believe he’ll be there.” Many of us who train dogs that become very important to us and who are also Christians struggle with the concept that “dogs don’t have souls and therefore can’t be in heaven.” I appreciate Susan finding this nugget of wisdom from a great theologian and sharing it with the dog community. It has confirmed my beliefs that my home in heaven will contain a bed big enough for all my dogs to sleep in every night! Here’s hoping that all the dog hair magically disappears, too!

No comments: