Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2008 AKC Agility Invitational

Ian qualified for this year’s AKC Agility Invitational in Long Beach, CA, by being in the top 5 dogs of his breed in agility. I’m so very proud of this accomplishment. When he started doing well in agility, my goals shifted to earning his MACH and getting him nationally ranked. I was thinking more top 25, but Ian has been in the top 5 since July 2007 (and he was #6 in the previous qualifying year).

However, I sent my regrets that I will not be attending this year’s event. Ian was invited last year in the second round of invitations. Last year he made the FINALS and was on National tv. The fact that he was even invited to this event was beyond my wildest dreams, and to be in the Finals was probably his career highest moment. You can read about our adventures here.

However, with gas prices so high and the amount of time I’d have to take off work, I’ve decided for at least this year to give someone else the chance I had to make a weekend they could dream about forever. And we had such a perfect weekend, I think I’d like to keep those memories just the way they are.

I’d love for there to be another Belgian Sheepdog in this year’s Finals. I’m pulling for Susan Anderson and her Belgian Sheepdog Ring to make the finals this year. Susan is such a wonderful person, and she is a huge part of my happy memories of last year’s event. Susan and Ring were 5th after the first day of qualifying, but an unfortunate off course in round 3 eliminated them for consideration for the Finals. I’d love Susan and Ring to make the Finals this year since she had the class to cheer me on and support me all the way to the Finals last year – and that support continues still today. There’s no classier competitor than Susan Anderson!

No comments: