Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Keep talking, Mom! I'm coming to the sound of your voice!




The only time I panicked last weekend during the hunt tests was as Devon was coming in from her 100 yard mark on land on Sunday. As Devon came up the hill, she started to slow and looked like she was going to stop and drop the bird. She was about 20 yards from me. I gave her a firm “here, here!” and she started to me again slogging through the high cover. That’s when I realized what she was going to do. I'm sure she was planning to stop and reposition the bird. She had a very awkward hold on the duck and it was in very tall cover. She had picked up the bird by the breast, but at an angle with its head down and butt up. She had taken the straight line back to me through the tall cover, and as she came back, the bird had slipped so its butt was against the side of her head and one wing was covering her eyes. By the time she came to the top of the hill, she could barely see! I think she just wanted to reposition the bird so she could come in better and actually see where she was going! The poor dog was like, “Ok, Mom, but keep talking so I can come to the sound of your voice!” At that point I was feeling a little guilty for my firm tone with her!


Of course training buddy Steve was taking pictures and he knew the whole time what was happening because of the telephoto lens. He was able to get these shots and harass me about being mean to my dog. I guess that's what friends are for!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Those pics are hilarious! I didn't really believe it when you were telling the story yesterday. I thought, of course the dog can see something - but no - not at all! :)