Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday's agility session

Ok, maybe the teeter issue yesterday was a little of both types (not understanding and refusal to want to play). I think I did present something new by going to the teeter, especially the end of the board, and asking her to walk the whole board. She has been scooting up on the board around the end of the yellow on the down side (going on halfway up the down side). I've been worried about her getting a failure to perform call because both the up and down are judged on the teeter, so I had been presenting her with something different. 

This morning she didn't want to do the teeter, so out came the leash again. I'm very neutral, in fact more positive than neutral about the leash. She hopped off a couple of times with the leash, then compiled and did the teeter three times with dog on left and then easily with dog on right three times. I was overly enthusiastic about my praise and cookie giving with each success. Then we stopped! I think I'll also take the pressure off doing the whole board for a while. I'll take success as getting on, tipping and walking down!

We worked weaves, and she's driving to them and checking her speed to get into them. They are out 4 inches, so I'll shut them down to 3 inches tomorrow. She's not super speedy, but I can tell she's working on foot work and she's thinking. 

After the weaves, I did two jump work. We started this yesterday, and she struggled with the lead out to the second jump; understandably because this was the first day. So I made it easier for her and added in motion between the first and second jump to get into the position she needed. This worked wonders, because today she was confident and nailed every one of her two jump lead out positions without the help of motion.

Devon is definitely a jumpers dog (sigh, just like Ian). She likes the A frame and is fine on the dogwalk. I have a feeling she'll do fine with the weaves. It's that blasted teeter that will be our problem obstacle for a while. There are two upsides, though: 1) if I have the patience to work with Ian and get him to the levels he's achieved, I'll have no problems with Devon; and 2) Devon actually ran over to the teeter today after we finished our jump work!!! I asked her for it since she ran over to it, and after a split second of hesitation, went on it and was successful!! Interestingly, I was several feet away when she did this. I'm wondering if like Ian with the weaves, because of the pressure we've had on the obstacle, will she be happier with me farther away from her so she can do her job? I'll have to keep a look out for this behavior!

No comments: