Wednesday, September 24, 2008

From 0 to 120 yards in 2 minutes flat

Well, maybe it took Ian longer than 2 minutes to get down that 120 yard track because I gave him an article halfway down, but it felt like only 2 minutes! Wow, he's going to be a great tracking dog. I ran him at 25 minutes ... well, it was 25 minutes when I started to get the stuff out of the van, so by the time I got his tracking harness on, I got cookies in my apron and we got to the track, it was probably a full 30 minute track. Ian just did a great job. 

I think I'm going to have to make him really honest to the line of the track. I noticed tonight he'll go off of it 10 ft., and I'm still walking with him. I started making myself stop when he was 2 ft. off of it and he quickly learned to get back on his track. Janet was right that I needed to do more straight line confidence building tracks before trying turns. I think I'll just do more of these and learn how to read him and build up some age for the next few weeks. 

I saw Sheree this week, and I told her I was tracking Ian and her reaction was, "IAN?!? You're tracking IAN?!?!" I laughed and said he loves it and told her what a natural he was at it. I can see me having fun with him for a while and even doing TDX and possibly VST (although I'm not sure how he'll do with the added people in a VST ... well we have a lot of time before we have to worry about that!).

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Ooh, reading this was helpful for me. We are going to the park now to try some longer "straight line confidence tracks" with Emma, and I'll probably throw Griffin in too.