Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Connor’s latest track

Connor continues to be a steady, solid tracker, and he’s having so much fun. He struggled a lot on his first turn, but he did keep working and wagging his tail the whole time. He missed the article I gave him 20 yards after the turn, but when he finally got on the leg he was tracking strong so I didn’t fuss with it. He did the rest of the track just fine, and it was 380 yards. He’s also getting much better at article indications and finding the articles. I think I’m going to have a friend lay a blind track for us next week and then depending on how that goes get my nerve up to try certification again.

After I finished tracking Ian and Connor last night, I took Devon out to pick up Connor’s flags and play with whistle sits with her. We’re struggling a little with this concept. She was generally walking in front of me as I lined up on Connor’s first turn and started out in the direction of the missing article. I should have just called her into me and told her to track, because she realized there was a track there and found his article before I got near it. She was SO PROUD of herself! I played tug with her, told her she was brilliant and had a party for the lost article she found. We also got a lot of work in on sit whistles, and I think she’s getting the concept pretty well. We need more practice, but I’m seeing the light bulb turn on!

No comments: