Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Connor's awesome track -- there is hope!!

Connor had the best track ever tonight! It rained here this evening, a nice thunderstorm after 20 days without measurable rain. I took the opportunity to try a new field I suspected would be awesome. The grass was over my ankles, and with the fresh rain was great. I hadn't planned on a full length track, but when I saw how good the field was, I went for it!

The track was just 440 yards long with 4 turns. I laid articles after the first and second turns and rewarded him with treats from me for finding them. Connor was so excited to track, he was bouncing out of the van! He was so wiggly I had to struggle a little to get his harness on. This was new! He tracked me to the start line, which worried me a little since it was a long walk to the start!

Also, I tried something new carried over from my field lesson this week and picked up from Steve and Archie. When Connor didn't nail the turn and showed the first sight of loss of scent, I asked him, "Where did it go? Where's your track?" in a fun, silly voice. This really made him search like it was a game. On the second turn he took two clockwise loops before he came up with the track. I was really able to read him tonight, which was awesome!

Connor lost some of his bounce halfway down the third leg, but he never gave up. He actually settled in and tracked. He found all of his articles and just did a super job. I think this was the best track I've ever seen him run! I was so proud and I'm now quite hopeful for a certification!

3 comments:

Nancy Schutt said...

wow, you are really into dog athletes. Makes for happy dogs, and thusly, happy you. Its so gratifying to see a dog laughing with joy as it bounds into the water, or through a field.
I am a dog artist out begging for links to my site, thought I'd offer you some dog art greeting cards in exchange for a link :)
I have some Golden and Border Collie images if that is your preference. Please take a look if you're interested and send me a mailing address- I'll get the cards off to ya.
thanks so much. I can hear the dogs panting when i look at your site!
nancy schutt
www.gooddogart.com
nancy@gooddogart.com

Kathy said...

Yay!! Go, Connor!!

Unknown said...

Awesome!! Sounds like the perfect tracking day...very inspiring!