Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Connor’s tracking

Connor continues to delight me with his tracking. Today I laid him a bit of a challenge. It was 365 yards and had two long legs at the front. The first leg was 110 and the second 125. Both of these legs went along a pond that was sunken well below ground level. This pulled the scent toward the pond (and Connor wanted to swim). The third leg was 50 yards, and the last leg 80.

I hadn’t intended to let it age so long, but I got caught up in working Ian and Devon, and it went 1 hour and 15 minutes. It didn’t really matter. Connor was bouncing and wiggly and ready to track. I think he really bounced down the first two legs. It was cool this morning, and he was just having the best time of his life! He was happy and playful and silly, but he was TRACKING!!!

He did suck down to the pond several times but came back up when I said, “Where’s your track?” He worked the turns nicely, preferring just to take them as he tracked and not circle. He did circle once, but that was more to make sure he was right on very short cover.


I really feel like certification and a TD are in sight. I have to be as happy and calm and fun as I was the last two times we tracked. That has made all the difference to him. I’m not “correcting” him for snacking (and there’s less poop here) so there’s none of that stress. Instead we’re just out having a great time, and he really is having fun!

No comments: