Monday, September 1, 2008

Devon's field training

Our hard work on lining drills paid off today in our lesson with Mitch. He set up three sight blinds for us in his big field with varying cover. He had two on the sides that were about 35-40 yards and one down the middle at 50 yards. Devon came out, saw all three buckets and lined every one of them! Mitch's response was, "Well, I should have made that more challenging for you!" From there he showed me how to set up more sight blinds, teach blinds and set up permanent blinds. We also did some "over" drills that Devon nailed so he said for me to work out to piles that were 40 yards on center.

After seeing what Devon could do, Mitch told me to get my paper, and he'd list out my homework for this month. Here's the funniest part of the conversation from there...

Mitch: Ok, we'll get her Junior this month, then get her Senior in the spring.

Deb (slight panic in her voice): SPRING? How about next FALL?

Mitch: Spring. She'll be ready.

Deb: June?

Mitch: Ok, at the June Hambden tests, but I want her to be done with her Senior in June so she can work Master set ups through the fall and do her Master the following summer.

I felt like I was negotiating a new allowance or taking out the family car! At least I think I remember that part about working the Master set ups right. I was still in a little shock about her being ready for Senior by spring! In fact, Mitch went on to say that if for some reason she doesn't get her JH this month, it's really not worth getting since she's already working Senior stuff.

Wow! I know we've been working hard, and I know she's really eating this stuff up, but I'm just thrilled Mitch thinks she's doing so well! Oh, and I told Mitch he couldn't have her for her Master because I couldn't let her go. His response? Through a hidden smile he said, "Yeah, I already figured that out!"

No comments: