Friday, March 6, 2009

2x2 training day 1

I think we had a very successful day! Our first session was this morning in the building. I set the poles up with my reward line before I brought Devon out. I had string cheese all prepared for her high value reward. As always, Devon raced to the building.

Devon is so stinking smart, and remember I started her weave entrances by clicking with 2 poles. So, she took one look at the poles and went, "Oh, I know this game!" and raced through them so fast I didn't have time to get the cheese out of the baggie for her reward! 

As Susan Y. warned me, I should have practiced throwing (I did practice with the toy!). Plus, string cheese rolls! Let's just say Susan Garrett would have been horrified at where my rewards landed, but Devon got the idea. 

I was also so frazzled that she got it so quickly, I forgot to count how many times we attempted the poles so I could calculate her accuracy. I do know she was successful 100% of the time, and she only came back through the poles once. I was able to get the entry arc in the low challenge area and dropping into the entire entry area to the sides.

After reviewing my notes from the DVD, I decided to move the poles outside for the afternoon session and use a toy.  We were ready for the "H" in the DASH principle. The DVD comments that you shouldn't stay too long on one area and use latent learning. Devon is a big latent learner, and the way she got right on the two poles told me we could move ahead.

I got her tugging with a brand new tug toy (which really sent her over the edge) before I asked for the poles. I used a lot of voice and started with the restrained release. I did all of the entry arc in 180 degrees. She nailed every one of her entries and never came back through them. On the third attempt (see I counted this time), she wanted to keep the tug toy and roll on her back. While this is very cute (which is why she does it), it stops the flow of training. I kept her moving and didn't allow her to stop the flow after a reward. 

In 12 attempts she was perfect every time and wanting more. We stopped. I did noticed two things as we trained. First, she wanted to turn to her right as she went through the poles, and once even wrapped her nose around the second pole. Because she's done weaves before and was clicker trained entries on 2 poles, that turn to the right and nose wrap told me she knows what we're setting up. I'm hoping this leads to greater understanding as we move to two sets of poles.

Second, she wasn't as drivey through the poles as the dogs on the DVD (of course they were border collies). However, I believe this was more of an individual dog thing. Devon is very thoughtful, and she's not one to get so high she doesn't think. For example, in field she'll never be one of these dogs who flings herself in a belly flop into the water after a bird. She trots with purpose into the water. That doesn't mean she's not intent or intense about her work. She's just sensible. 

I think combining those two observations (she wanted to go right to more "ghost" poles and she was thinking) is what caused her to be a little less "drivey," but I absolutely know she was learning.

More tomorrow!

6 comments:

Lynda Orton-Hill said...

Hi Deb - I laughed when I read your blog today - an you saying... SG would be horrified ;) the reward line is something we pride ourselves on at SY - "training efficiency"

sounds like your doing great record keeping - and have good friends around you - Dr Bonnie & Miss Susan Y!

Hey!!! - they weren't all border collies - there is a special Red Golden at Say Yes - SPIRIT!

Enjoy your training!
Lynda Orton-Hill

Kathy said...

Cool!

What new tug toy did you use? You didn't place an order for rabbit tugs without me, did you??

Deb said...

Thanks Lynda! I've been spying on that cute little red Golden and watching her on You Tube!

Devon's a pretty special little girl, and boy does she love Dr. Bonnie and Miss Susan!

And I'm getting my own little redhead who is half Canadian (Ambertrial)in about 6 weeks. She's from the Game Bird Litter I've mentioned on the blog. I have a feeling she'll have a little more "go" than Devon does ... what am I getting myself into!

Rest assured, I'm also watching Crate Games! ;-)

Deb said...

Don't worry Kathy! It was the Cosmo (http://www.k9cuisine.com/p-889-my-good-dog-toys-cosmo.aspx), and I found it in the dog room closet a few weeks ago when I did some spring cleaning. I liked it because the weight of the ball gave me an accurate throw on my reward line. However, Devon did tear some of the fabric as she was tugging. She's a pretty hard tugger; Janet B. says she's on par with Buster!

Lynda Orton-Hill said...

My favourite Spirit moment is the sit by the poles while Feature weaves – I think maybe I should do some obedience with her! (Crate Games at its best!)

Then of course I own the naughty sheltie that comes on screen when Susan has the big meaty bone in her hands… I was the camera woman and and couldn't call her back! (Its Yer Choice - not at its best :) naughty sheltie – brilliant Golden!

Lots of lovely Ambertrails dogs in Ontario you must be excited!

Lysiane said...

Ah man. . .now your making me realize I really need to get cracking on my 2 x 2 training too. So where did you get your poles? I have a set of channels but was trying to figure out what and where to get the new 2x2 poles from. Any thoughts?