Monday, March 9, 2009

Tracking map tip

I picked this tip up from Steve Ripley last fall. You can use Google Maps to create tracks and/or document your training after you track. I enter the address of the location where I want to track. In the map's upper right hand corner, you can click the "Satellite" button. This will let you view the buildings and parking lots. 

If you don't have a google email account it's free. You can log in and then click "My maps" on the top left next to the "Get Directions" button. Then click "create new map." A toolbar comes up in the upper left corner of the map, now on satellite view. You can draw lines on your map and track how long the track is (you must convert feet to yards). I then draw a second line over my first line to get the yardage of non-veg and come up with my ratios. I also mark the location of my articles on my track. In the description section I can enter yardage, ratios and any other relevant information.

One final tip for safety, make sure you mark you maps "unlisted" when you create them. If you want to share your maps with tracking partners, you can always email them the exact url privately.

I have discovered this is a great tool for managing my tracks, especially working VST. Happy tracking!

No comments: