Saturday, March 28, 2009

VST practice this week


We worked two VST practice tracks this week. The first was on Wednesday, and it's pictured here. I was interested how Devon would run this track, because it had been lightly raining that morning. Everything was wet, with puddles on the pavement. I didn't use extra scent, but I did use chalk. 

The track was 505 yards long with 315 yards of non-veg (63%). It was aged 3 hours and 20 minutes. By the time we ran the track, it was sunny and the pavement had dried except for a few puddles. It was 59 degrees with 62% humidity. The wind was from the southwest at 16 mph.

Devon started well, but she wanted to go down to the little ditch that ran parallel to the start. I know ducks lurk down there. She struggled to make the first turn, but after that ran the track well. She did very well into the curb. I had a nice article reward ready for her, but someone took it. This was a church, and I figured an article near the front would be risky. She did well with her first MOT turn, but I was holding her out of the flowerbeds. They'd been newly mulched, and there were people coming in and out of the building, so I didn't want them to see her tromping around in the flowerbeds.

She did the straight line up the middle of the parking lot very well and worked well across the islands and back out to the parking lot. She really struggled with the next MOT turn. I rescented her twice and let her drink, but she continued to circle. I thought this was an easy tur,n because I laid it on a crack. I finally pointed it out to her and once I did she was off in the correct direction. The wind could have been a factor here since we were out in an open parking lot with a large hill up to the road beside us. I'm not really sure why she struggled, but this is a guess.

As we approached her next MOT turn, I realized we'd missed an article after the last turn. It was a white switch cover plate placed on a white line. She's found this before several times, but that time we both missed it. 

Devon cut the corner on the next MOT turn, but she found the next leg easily so I followed. She ended the track well and found her piece of leather even though it was hidden. There were mostly good things about that track, and I thought it was a successful day.

Friday's Track
I've decided Devon likes to track for an audience! On Friday, Devon ran a 633 yard track with 320 yards of non-veg (51%). It was aged almost 4 hours, and it was cloudy and 58 degrees with 44% humidity when we ran it. The wind was light from the east. This track was mostly transition work and curb work. Kathy from Agile Gold wanted to see Devon track, and since she was coming to work on the agility equipment, we did some tracking, too. 

I was a little worried this track would be tough for Devon. I didn't lay any extra scent, but I did use a little more chalk on the non-veg than I usually do. Usually I just mark turns and transitions. Apparently I'm going to have start begging people to come tracking with us. Devon knew she had an audience (it's quality, not quantity), and she worked like a dream! I guess this means tests won't be a problem!

The only thing she did "wrong" was again miss that white light switch plate on a white paint line. I'm really shocked she missed it twice in a row. I held her thinking she'd find it, because I thought she had smelled it; but she didn't and I finally pointed it out to her.

I have to give it to churches; they do a great job of picking up "trash" on the grounds. I lost another article at this church. It was a plastic lid. Since most of the area schools are on spring break this week, I'm headed to schools to track! At least I won't lose my articles!

All of Devon's transition work was great; I gave her angles as well as straight transitions and she handled it fine. She also work a corner up against a building nicely too. Overall it was another good tracking week!

No comments: