Tuesday, March 17, 2009

2x2 training day 9 -- we have 12 poles!

This morning I put two sets of 6 poles 15 feet apart. Devon did six attempts, two from the middle, two from the right and two from the left. I rewarded between on the first 3 attempts, then rewarded 50% of the time. On attempt 4 she popped out early on the second set, so we redid it. Just like the DVD, she wanted to drive forward to the second set of poles and the reward was actually "interrupting" her. 

I moved the poles closer and did four more attempts, rewarding 50% and she was perfect. So for the last attempt, I put all the poles together for a set of 12 poles. On the first time she came out at pole 6 and looked around like, "Ooops!" I laughed and brought her back and this time she nailed all 12 poles. She got lots of praise for that and we quit!

The two things I like best about what she's doing is a) driving all the way through the poles and b) not worrying about where I am until she finishes her job. Devon has her head down, and she's really working those poles. I love that. And because she knows her job and is working them, she doesn't care where I am as she works. I can run with her; I can be behind her; and I can run past her and be several feet beyond the poles when she comes out. 

Devon truly has a complete understanding of her job in the weaves now. I did not keep track of exactly how many minutes per session we worked, but I can agree with the DVD that it is just at an hour total training time at the most. Have I said recently how much I love this method???

3 comments:

tailsofgold said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see some videos of her. It is incredible how fast this method is, isn't it? Precisely why I'm waiting until Rue is more mature before training the poles....:)

Kathy said...

I'm so proud of you two!

I love the method. It's very fun and effective.

Deb said...

Thanks guys!!!