Monday, March 16, 2009

2x2 training day 8

After two days of tracking and a challenging track this morning, I only gave Devon one weave session today. I set up 6 poles, which was where we left off last time, but I was ready to adjust the 2x2 bases to help her with entries if I had to. I took a jump out with me but I wasn't sure if I'd use it. 

I started Devon with her favorite tug toy and she was ready to work. She nailed her first attempt. She was strong and had a two footed style. In the first four attempts, she only missed one entry and bounced right back. We did several (5) more in the low challenge entry area and she was perfect.

After working harder left entries, I moved to the right for some more challenging entries. I had Devon lined up so she'd have to really wrap the first pole. She had been successful on this last week, but she was not today. She entered with the first pole on her right three times. I changed her entry slightly and she was successful, which I praised. I slowly worked my way back down to where she had trouble, and she was successful to lots of praise.

I moved back to the left side for a couple of last entries. Clearly I should have stopped with our success. On the second one, she turned away from the poles and wandered off. At first I thought she had to go potty, but I called her back. I refocused her and she re-engaged. I did two more attempts to make sure I didn't pattern train a marker on her entry, and I stopped.

This was a successful session, because Devon worked through a problem on the right side entry. She was 80% successful. Tomorrow I'm going to do fewer attempts in my sessions, since I believe I did too many this time. I'm going to move to two sets of 6 poles and see if we can get 12 poles over the next couple of days.

No comments: