Friday, March 20, 2009

We have weaves, but what happened to the teeter?

Well, yesterday's agility class had highs and lows. I have been reminded what Mitch says about field work. When you're putting pressure on one thing, other things suffer (like when you're doing pile work, marking suffers). I wouldn't say the weave work has been "pressure" but it has been our focus during the last two weeks. Maybe that's why I've seen some contact issues crop up, which have been problems for Devon in the past.

I worked entries in a smaller area next to the ring. I worked on 6 poles only and used a jump. The area was narrow, so it wasn't ideal. Luckily, there were only four dogs in the class, so on the second sequence, I used my floor time to try 12 weaves. 

Devon's first attempt was from a low challenge entry area with no obstacles before it. She went into the first pole, then walked away from the weaves just as she did Tuesday night at her other class. I called her back and asked her for the weaves again, and she did all 12 perfectly! Big reward and praise. 

Next, I asked for a low challenge entry with a jump before the weaves. This was a right side entry, but it was very low challenge. She was perfect to lots of praise! The third attempt was from a tunnel to the weaves with a high challenge right entry, again we had perfect success! Finally, I asked for a table much closer to the weaves and in a high challenge left side location. Again, she was perfect, and I even had to layer a post with a bucket of table legs next to it! 

After this last attempt, Devon got to go tell Liz all about how brilliant she was. Liz was very pleased with her work, and said Devon clearly understood how to tuck her butt and get herself into that second pole - something she didn't understand before. I was just thrilled that feedback!

However, my joy was short lived. On our last sequence of the day, she refused the teeter. She bailed off multiple times. This teeter was new to this location last week, but it is the same brand of teeter I have here at home. She has successfully gone over this teeter several times and had even gone over it earlier that day. However, she bailed off about 6 times no matter which side I was on. I got her leash on her, and we were finally successful. I got a second success right in a row and then we called it quits! 

Obviously I can't wait to get my equipment out of the building and in the back lot today. We have some contact work to do! I'm sure Devon is just "out of balance" with all the weave work we've been doing. My plan is to get that balance back now that the weather is cooperating.

No comments: