Sunday, March 1, 2009

Devon's latest "prize"

If you've ever met Devon, you know she usually has something in her mouth. She loves to carry and retrieve things. Life is usually better when Devon has something in her mouth. Her favorite thing is to steel my socks, hose or underwear. I'm very, very lucky that she only wants to carry these things and not eat them. If she ate what she got, I'm sure she would have had multiple surgeries by now!

One of the things we've struggled with around the house was Devon not coming in from the backyard. Finally this winter I have solved that problem by using her field "come" command. This is a "pressure" command (meaning she knows she'll get a correction if she doesn't follow it), and I had waited to use it because of the fear she'd blow it off. I followed up the command by giving her a treat when she does come. This has worked extremely well, and I now have a dog that comes when called at home.

The interesting part about this new development of coming when called, is that she often brings with her what she's been snacking on. It's now habit for me to check her mouth when she gets to the back door; and this winter I have had to shake many frozen "treats" from her mouth before she comes inside. I keep reminding myself at least she's coming when called, and I don't have walk outside to get her!

Last night Devon came racing in from the back corner of the yard near the training building. I glanced at her mouth on the way in and it was shut. I dropped a treat towards her, and it hit the floor and she stood there looking at it. I suddenly realized her mouth was closed tightly and she was contemplating the value of the treat ... versus the value of whatever it was in her mouth! 

I'm wise enough now that I wasn't sure I wanted to know what was in her mouth! We walked back out to the deck as Ian grabbed the treat, and I suspected what was in her mouth. I opened her mouth and shook out what was in it. Good thing it was dark outside. We went back in where I gave her a treat. Then Connor appeared at the door, and he hadn't even looked at what was laying on the deck next to the door ... now I was really sure I knew what was outside. Connor will grab an extra tasty treat laying around, and he didn't even glance in the direction of whatever it was on the deck.

Sure enough when I went back outside with several paper towels I confirmed with a quick glance Devon had found a dead mouse to bring me. YUCK!! I think this brings her dead mouse find up to four, plus one dead snake. It got flushed down the toilet. Then I had to put groceries away and start my dinner. Living with Devon is always an adventure. Good thing she's really cute and sweet!!

No comments: